Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sunday Interview with Victoria


Why did you decide to get published? 

I’m not sure I really “decided” to get published. I just knew I wanted/needed to write. I joined writing critique groups and attended workshops and was encouraged to submit my work. And that’s how it began.

What kind of book you have there?
 

“Winter is Past” is a novel—women’s/literar fiction. It is the story of a woman, Claire, who learns that her best friend and kidney donor has been diagnosed with cancer in her remaining kidney. Because of this she must confront her fear of loss and a secret from her past.

How long have you been writing? 

I’ve written as long as I can remember, much of it related to work. It was only when I retired that I’ve been able to focus on fiction and poetry.

Do you have previous publishing experiences? 

Yes. I’ve published short stories and poetry and was a regular contributor to a pet magazine.

What is the reason you choose the host of your publishing? 

I’d submitted to a number of mainstream publishers and agents. I had an agent for over a year. She was new to the business and wasn’t able to sell it. I met my publisher, an Indie, at a book-signing, submitted and they accepted it.

What is the cost of getting everything done?
 

About 8-9 years of my life and a lot of postage.

Which part of the book you believe most charming to readers?  

 I’m not sure charming is the word I would use. The subject deals with life and death issue, with loss and survival. There is a teaser on my Website: http://victoriacslotto.com/

Do you have any hints on how to get published?

·        Revise, revise, revise.
·        Join a writing critique group.
·        Read both in your genre and books about your craft
·        Consider hiring a professional editor.
·        Learn about the publisher or agent to whom you’re submitting.
·        Don’t give up.

Do you have a favorite author?  

Too many to name. I enjoy reading the classics.

What are your major inspirations? 

My life experiences working with death and dying, spirituality and nature.

What’s your writing plan for the future? 

I hope to self-publish a poetry book. I’ve completed a second novel that I will be revising over the next few weeks. Then I’ll begin the submission process all over again.

5 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

What a great interview. The plot really intrigues.

MISH said...

I like the way you portray your inspiration, Victoria... life & death... it's part of the reality of human existence...
Congratulations on the book. It's been a long, hard journey to reach this point. I wish you everything of the best!
Great interview!

Chim's World of Literature said...

This was a very good interview thanks for the hints on how to get other writers to follow your tips..

Grammy said...

I agree good interview. And congrats on getting published.

Elizena said...

This was a great interview and thanks for all the great ideas. I have to agree with Mish. I like your inspirations. We all have them, now we just have to learn how to use them. Be blessed.