Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Interview with Shawn L. Bird




Thanks for the opportunity to discuss Grace! I have responded below,  

Grace Awakening is available at your favorite e-book retailer now!
Come visit my blog and website:
 http://www.shawnbird.com

Shawn

Why do you decide to get published?


When I finished writing Grace Awakening in 2009.


What kind of book you have there?


Grace is a Young Adult modern fantasy novel.  It's a mix of modern romance and ancient myth.  There is also an allegory with a classical mythological  world. Two stories unfold simultaneously.  Because the Three Graces are involved, the story includes a lot of music and poetry.  There are several poems in the book, including Greek epic style dactylic hexameter at the start  of each chapter, sonnets, free verse and in the second book, a terza rima!


How long have you been writing?


I first started sharing my writing in public when I was 8.  I entered stories and poems into competitions from about that time.  I earned my first poetry prize when I was 9.


Do you have previous publishing experiences?


I publish a daily blog, and I have been published in a variety of non-fiction forms writing about genealogy, harps or Girl Guides over the years.  Grace Awakening is my first novel series.

What is the reason you choose the host of your publishing?


I am distributed by Bookbaby.  I have musician friends who use the parent company, CDbaby, and love them.  I liked their professional approach.


What is the cost of getting everything done?


With Bookbaby it is $99 to have the files converted and they coordinate all payments with retail companies. They don't take percentages, so that's a firm cost.  I also have additional costs for editor and graphic artist, of course.


Which part of the book you believe most charming to readers?  


Although this is a novel, it is based on a poem I wrote the year I turned 12.  In the story, the main character Grace writes the poem in this scene.   


here is a sample poem:





Do you have any hints on how to get published?


Presuming that you have a great manuscript, hire an amazing editor to help you see things you can't see as the creator, and ask you the right questions to make sure your manuscript is the best it can be.  I'd also recommend attending writers' conferences and participating in on-line writing communities because that's the way you learn about the latest opportunities.


Do you have a favorite author?

I'm an English teacher, so I have a lot of them!  I am particularly fond of Stephenie Meyer, because Twilight provided the epiphany of setting my story into a mythical context.  I also like Margaret Laurence, Charles de Lint, J. K. Rowling, among many others.


What are your major inspirations?


The inspiration for Grace Awakening is the poem that I share in the sample.  It was written the year I turned 12.  I was struck with the feeling that such profound feelings could not be 'first love,' but that it must have been around for several lifetimes.  That was the germ that led to the story.




What’s your writing plan for the future?


There are 4 books planned for the Grace Awakening series.  The second one is in the final edit stage now, and should be released shortly.  I'm about 3 chapters in writing the third book.  Last spring I was in France researching another series based on one of Grace and Ben's past lives.



Shawn: We have enjoyed your responses, Good Luck on writing and blogging...Thanks for the interview.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome creation to know, shawn.

Anonymous said...

There was a special sample sent for your readers that is referenced in this interview, but there is no link to it. It is not the same sample that I use on my website or with the sellers. For now, here is a link to the poem from an old blog: http://shawnbird.com/2011/08/10/where-did-it-all-begin/

Unknown said...

added the link, thanks for the thoughtfulness, Shawn.