Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sunday Interview on Summer Into Fall with Steven Federle




Why do you decide to get published?

I decided to publish because I wanted to find a way to reach more people.  In addition, I wanted to have a printed, bound copy of my work to keep for my children and grandchildren... something tangible to remain after I'm gone.

What kind of book you have there?

 I have published several books of poetry.

How long have you been writing?

 I've been writing for a good 50 years (going back to childhood).

Do you have previous publishing experiences?

 No... just school publications in high school and, of course, online on my blog and various other poetry communities.  Oh yes, just recently I heard from fans in Spain (which blows my mind... that I have fans in Spain!).. who are musicians... an alternative rock band called "Promenade Rock"... and they told me that they wanted one of my poems for a song! I gave permission and got an mp3 yesterday... it was wonderful!  So strange to hear my words in that context, though, but I love it!  My kids say that their old man is a rock star!

What is the reason you choose the host of your publishing?

 I choose Lulu.com because they are so easy to use and their product seems to be of a high quality.

What is the cost of getting everything done?

 No cost for uploading the book... you only pay if you order one... it is printed to order... I pay about $10 for a copy of my book.

Which part of the book you believe most charming to readers? please include 2 or 3 poems in your book.... for fiction, please pick out a paragraph to
share.

charming? well, I don't know about that.  Here are three, though.

From Summer into Fall, 2011
Steven Federle

Reverie

Your breath

your voice
summer soft
lost in sleep

I dream
your whisper

rushing across
my bare
neck

your breath.

Double

Crouching, dangerous.
waving the bat
over his glinting helmet,
he waits,
scanning the field
for any weakness,
any hole
to fill
with his power.

When the coiled arm pulls back
and releases blinding fire
down the narrow lane,

he swings.

The high arc,
bright spot in the dark,
decays and strikes
just within
right field’s highest
limit.

Resting at last,
poised, hands on hips
he surveys the game
from a whole, new
point-of-
view.

Shoe Maker

 

 The children watch his hands
strain against leather, tug
tough hide, obdurate skin,
once supple and alive,
now stiff and dry,


see how his patience
like love,
wears death down
until new shoes grow
in his strong hands.

They learn to bend
life's refuse
to new use

how being
always finds
purpose.

Thus, in lines of memory
we measure our days.

The ancestors guide us
as we build new form
from old tears,

and our children
watch
and learn.

Shoemaker, Hung Liu, 1999, oil on canvas, Crocker Art Museum, Sacramento CA


Do you have any hints on how to get published?

Every author's experience is different, so I don't know if hints work.  For me, publication is problematic.  I believe I could get some work placed in magazines, for example, if I was willing to spend the time and effort, but I discovered that the more I focused on this, the less I wrote.  For me, writing is the main thing.  Thank God for the Internet!  Here I can put my work out to anyone who wishes to read it (and even comment on it, though that is not necessary) without consuming my time and moral energy... and the rejection letters! I am much too thin-skinned to be a real "published author."  I guess with a good agent who would do all that and only get back to me with successes.... maybe that would work. Do not much help, I bet!

Do you have a favorite author?

I love so many... John Steinbeck, Thomas Merton, Edna St. Vincent Milay, Billy Collins, Robert Bly... too many to list.

What are your major inspirations?




 I am inspired by everything and everyone around me, at all times and, thus, never run out of subject matter. I feel God everywhere and at all times.  If I couldn't write poetry, I think I'd explode.

What’s your writing plan for the future? 
 
Just keep writing and posting work and "self publishing" books for my progeny to find and wonder at.


4 comments:

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

awesome interview...

Janet Martin said...

I just discovered Steve's blog and now this interview to shed a little light on this highly-gifted writer! Thank-you for this excellent interview! I find his poetry to be among the best I have ever read in this era.

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

Thanks for the feedback, Janet.

Unknown said...

very carefully written and shared interview.